Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Justice

In 1861 Gibson, who was married to Margaret Justice, wrote that Duaragil Castle had been greatly improved by Doctor Justice of Mallow "whose family has been in possession of the property for nearly 200 years". The Justice family appear to have been resident in the Millstreet area of county Cork from the late 17th century. Thomas Holmes Justice of Mount Justice made his will in 1788. He refers to his wife Jane, his interest in lands at East and West Nockagarrane and the Castle lands of Duarrigle which he held from Robert Wrixon, his two sons Thomas and Robert and his daughter Margaret. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Thomas Holmes Justice held land in the parish of Cullen, barony of Duhallow, while Henry Justice was leasing land from John C. Wallace in the parish of Dromtarriff in the same barony. In April 1850 the interest of Thomas H. Justice in the lands of Duarrigil and West and East Knockagurrane amounting to 171 acres was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. These lands had been partitioned between Thomas H. Justice and his brother Robert in 1802. By the 1870s three members of the Justice family owned about 250 acres in county Cork. The sale of property owned by John Bolton Cooper Justice in the barony of Barrymore was adjourned in the Land Judges' Court in March 1886.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Duarrigle Castle Duarrigle Cullen Millstreet Derragh 279 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: W252 944
OS Sheet: 39
Discovery map: 79
Mount Justice Knockagarrane West Cullen Millstreet Derragh 279 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: W251 958
OS Sheet: 30
Discovery map: 79
Garrane House Garrane West Dromtarriff Millstreet Keale 281 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: W301 955
OS Sheet: 30
Discovery map: 79