In November 1860 the estate of Robert Albert Hickson a minor was advertised for sale. The estate amounted to 1,589 acres in the Clonakilty, Crookhaven and Skull localities and in the city of Cork. Captain Albert Hickson was the owner of over 1200 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. S. Hussey of Cork was his agent. Robert A. Hickson of London owned 2,031 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s [possibly the person also recorded as Captain Albert Hickson].John Hickson was among the principal lessors in the parish of Skull, barony of West Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Hickson, 23 Nov 1860, Vol 60 (59), MRGS 39/030, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Miscellaneous legal papers and some accounts relating to families and estates in Co. Kerry, mainly concerning the Chute, Hickson, Thompson and Wilson families, 1687-1845. Rowan Papers, Ms. 20,609 ; National Library of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 125
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 218
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Corkaguiny, 73 (Ballintaggart)
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: I, 649 (Ballintaggart)