Coppinger (West Carbery)
The Coppinger family had held significant estates in West Carbery until after the Williamite wars when Walter Coppinger was attainted for high treason and deprived of much of his property. His son James was also deprived of property but Kingston asserts that he may have been able to lease some of this back at a later date. The family were never to have the same influence again in the area though they did continue as owners of smaller properties. Several members of the family are recorded as tenants in perpetuity of estates between 300 and 500 acres in the 1870s. A descendent of this branch of the Coppinger family, Dudley Byrne Coppinger, sold his interest in some property in the Landed Estates Court in January 1872. It was purchased by Joseph Pike.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Westfield||Hollyhill||Aghadown||Skibbereen||Aghadown South 313||West Carbery (East)||Cork||
OSI Ref: W043345
OS Sheet: 141
Discovery map: 88
|Coppinger's Court||Ballyvireen||Ross||Clonakilty||Rosscarbery||East Carbery (West)||Cork||
OSI Ref: W261359
OS Sheet: 143
Discovery map: 89
- Volume compiled by or for John Windele containing pedigrees, copies of patents, poems, letters and other papers relating to County Cork and Co. Kerry families, O'Keeffe, Sarsfield, Mc Carthy, O'Donovan, Coppinger, Cotter, Crosbie, etc. including an O'Donovan pedigree by John Collins and copies of Crosbie papers in the possession of R. Sainthill 19th c.; University College Cork, Boole Library Archives
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 120
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : West Carbery (East) Barony: 27 (Hollyhill)
Modern printed sources
- KINGSTON, W. J. ''The Story of West Carbery''. Waterford: Friendly Press, 1985. : 81-82, 85-87.
- ''Jnl. of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society''.: SAMUEL, Mark. Coppinger's Court: a document in stone. LXXXIX (1984), 5-76.
- COPINGER W.A. ''History of the Copinger or Coppinger family of county Cork''. London: Sotheran, 1884. : All
- COPINGER, W.A. ''A history of the Copingers or Coppingers of Co Cork''. Manchester: 1882: All
- MARSDEN, Simon & McLAREN, Duncan. . ''In ruins: the once great houses of Ireland''. Boston: Little Brown & Co, 1997. : 34-35 (Coppinger's Court)
- ''Irish Times'': Landed Estates Court sale reports, 17 January 1872, p.4