Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Sullivan (Tullylease & Curramore)

A Gaelic family who dropped the 'O' from O'Sullivan and became Sullivan in the early 18th century. They descend from John Sullivan who married in 1714 Mary Herne/Aherne of Hernsbrook, county Limerick and were involved in coal mining in the parish of Killagholehane. One of their grandsons was Major James Sullivan of Chesterfield, near Newcastle West, county Limerick. Other family members held townlands in the parish of Killagholehane, barony of Glenquin, county Limerick at the time of Griffith's Valuation and in the parish of Tullylease, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. In the 1870s John Jeremiah Sullivan of Curranmore owned 1,511 acres in county Limerick while his cousin the Reverend John Sullivan of Tullylease owned 607 acres in county Cork.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Chesterfield Carrowgar Grange Newcastle Knockaderry 115 Glenquin Limerick OSI Ref: R326 354
OS Sheet: 36
Discovery map: 64
Tullylease Tullylease Tullylease Kanturk Tullylease 176 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: R368 185
OS Sheet: 6
Discovery map: 72
Curramore Knockglass Killagholehane Newcastle Boola 103 Glenquin Limerick OSI Ref: R324 199
OS Sheet: 54
Discovery map: 72

Archival sources

  • Irish Tourist Association Survey file for parish of Dromcollogher, barony of Connello Upper, 1944. Limerick West 11; Limerick Studies Department, Dooradoyle
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey files, Parish of Milford; Cork County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources