This family was a junior branch of the Blennerhassett of Riddlestown family, parish of Doondonnell, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick. In the mid 19th century the main part of John Brooke Blennerhassett’s estate was in the parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Shanid, but he also held land in the parish of Ballycahane, barony of Smallcounty. In the 1870s he owned 1,829 acres in county Limerick.
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 146
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 40
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Smallcounty, 13 (Rockfield)
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 337 (Rockfield - E.V. Fitzgerald)
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, county Limerick: I, 304 (Rockfield)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 263