The Armstrongs appear to have been established at Lismoher, parish of Noughaval, county Clare in the mid 18th century. In 1767 Edmond Armstrong of Lismoher, county Clare, married Hannah Westropp daughter of Randal Westropp of Cork and his wife Peniel. Their daughter Maria Wallis Armstrong married her first cousin Henry Bruen Westropp in 1814. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the main part of Edmund J./Edward J. Armstrong's estate was in the parishes of Noughaval and Killeany, barony of Burren, but he also held land in four other baronies - Islands, Bunratty Lower, Tulla Lower and Corcomroe. In the 1870s Edward J. Armstrong of Lishmoher and Dublin owned 2,190 acres in the county.
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Ballyvaghan Union, 39
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 107
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 10
- WALFORD, Edward. 'The County families of the United Kingdom''. London: Chatto & Windus, 1885): 28 (Armstrong, Lismoher)