Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Law (Cos Clare & Tipperary)

Originally from county Tyrone, a number of men of this family were clergymen in the Church of Ireland in county Cork in the 18th century. In 1828 the Reverend Patrick Comerford Law, rector of North Repps, Norfolk, married Frances Arbuthnot, daughter of the Right Reverend Alexander Arbuthnot, Bishop of Killaloe. At the time of Griffith's Valuation members of the Law family held four townlands in the parish of Killaloe, county Clare. In the 1870s Robert Law of Dublin owned 1,244 acres in county Clare. In the mid 19th century another member of this family Hamilton Robert Law, son of the Reverend Dr Robert Law and his second wife Sarah widow of Robert Roberts and daughter of Samuel Watson of Summerville, Clonmel, county Tipperary, held land in the parishes of Rochestown, barony of Iffa and Offa West and Inishlounaght, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary. Robert H. Law of Kilmacoliver, county Kilkenny, owned 166 acres in county Tipperary and 606 acres in county Kilkenny in the 1870s.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ballyvally Ballyvally Killaloe Scarriff Killaloe 121 Tulla Lower Clare OSI Ref: R691 739
OS Sheet: 45
Discovery map: 58