Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Carroll (Merville House & Sligo)

In the mid 19th century John Carroll held an estate in the parishes of Kilfarboy, barony of Ibrickan, Clareabbey, barony of Islands, O’Briensbridge, barony of Tulla Lower and Clooney, barony of Corcomroe, county Clare. Power refers to him as a successful timber importer and builder. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey John Carroll held two townlands in the parish of Clareabbey and Pat Brennan was his agent. Merville House in the townland of Fintra More, parish of Kilfarboy was his residence in 1837 and at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. Weir writes that it was in ruins in 1904. He also owned other houses in the townland of Fintra More, Mount Prospect/Paradise and Belmont, which was held by Augustine Fitzgerald. In the 1870s the representatives of John Carroll, The Retreat, 34 Lansdowne Road, London, owned 1,465 acres in county Clare and 651 acres in county Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Carroll estate held lands in the parish of Achonry and extensive properties in the town of Sligo and elswhere in the barony of Carbury, county Sligo. Jane Carroll of London is recorded as the owner of over 1,300 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s while John Carroll (as above) held 651 acres.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Trough Cottage Trough O'Brienbridge Limerick Cloghera 104 Tulla Lower Clare OSI Ref: R573 648
OS Sheet: 53
Discovery map: 58
Merville House Fintra More Kilfarboy Ennistimon Ballyvaskin 52 Tulla Lower Clare OSI Ref: R036 802
OS Sheet: 30
Discovery map: 57