Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hickman (Barntick)

Joseph Power writes that the house Barntick, parish of Clareabbey, barony of Islands, county Clare, dates from the mid 17th century and that the property originally belonged to the O’Briens Earls of Thomond. Barntick was leased to the Hickmans from circa 1620s and by the mid 17th century they held other townlands in the parish. Moland’s survey states that Barntick had on it ‘a good house, stable, barn and other out houses’. By the mid 18th century the Hickmans owned almost 3,000 acres in the parishes of Clareabbey and Killone, barony of Islands and controlled the village of Clare. They also held land in many other parishes but by the end of the 1750s their estates were heavily mortgaged. Colonel Robert Hickman of Barntick died without heirs in 1757 and his estates were sold in 1763. The purchasers in the parishes of Clareabbey and Killone included Sir Lucius O’Brien and others and involved a legal dispute with Poole Hickman of the Kilmore branch of the family. The Peacocke family bought Barntick and Ballaghafadda and the town of Clare.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Barntick Barntick Clareabbey Ennis Clareabbey 31 Islands Clare OSI Ref: R328 723
OS Sheet: 41
Discovery map: 58

Archival sources

  • Moland Survey, circa 1703. B9/36; Petworth Papers
  • Manuscript survey and plan of Killue, barony of Island, part of Col Hickman’s estate, April 1761. 15 B. 9(12); National Library of Ireland
  • Inchiquin Papers, includes records re the Hickman family of Barntick & Fenloe, 1632-1776. Collection List 143. MSS 45,725-45,738; National Library of Ireland

Modern printed sources