Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Martyn (Gregans Castle)

Weir gives a detailed history of this county Clare family. Gregans Castle was originally an O’Loghlen property, lost by them during the Cromwellian confiscations and granted to the Martyns circa 1683, with whom the O’Loghlens had intermarried, under the Acts of Settlement. Gregory Martin held three townlands in the parish of Rathborney at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. Gregory Martyn married Mary Henrietta Lynch of Clogher, county Mayo and their son Captain John Gregory Martyn, born 1841, owned 1,992 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. This estate was in the possession of Frank Martyn in 1906 when the house was valued at £10. Frank Martyn lived at Gregans Castle until his death in 1956. The house became a hotel in 1967, was bought by the Hadens in 1976 and is still owned by them and run as a hotel. see http://www.gregans.ie/

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Gregans Castle/Cregans Castle Gragan East Rathborney Ballyvaghan Rathborney 11 Burren Clare OSI Ref: M207 035
OS Sheet: 5
Discovery map: 51

Archival sources

  • Joyce Mackie & Lougheed, solicitors' collection, includes deeds, wills and other papers re Martin (or Martyn) family of Cos Clare and Galway, with references to the Eyre and O’Flaherty families, 17th -19th centuries. D.20,511-20,550; D.23,699-23,737; M.2428-2433; M.3434a-3472; M.5894-5929; T.11,496-11,499; T.14,105-14,112.; National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Martyn, 7 June 1850, Vol 1 (45), MRGS 39/001, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources