Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Mullarkey

The Mullarkey family held lands in the barony of Leyny, county Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Patrick Mullarkey was leasing over 130 acres from the Ffolliott estate at Ballyara, and almost 300 acres from the Phibbs estate, both in the parish of Achonry. In 1870 Michael and Margaret Mullarkey offered for sale lands in the parishes of Achonry and Ballisodare, in the Landed Estates Court. The Mullarkey family owned almost 800 acres in the 1870s. Margaret Mullarkey offered for sale over 280 acres of lands at Drumartin, barony of Leyny, in the Land Judges' Court in June 1885. The sale notice indicates that the property at Drumartin was originally held on lease between Eliza Cooper and Patrick Mullarkey dated March 1790. The family are also associated with a famous racehorse, called The Pride of Ballyara, which won them substantial monies in the mid-nineteenth century and is buried on the perimeter of the graveyard in Ballyara.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ballyara or Ballyhara Ballyara or Falduff Achonry Tobercurry Tobercurry 84 Leyny Sligo OSI Ref: G501116
OS Sheet: 37
Discovery map: 25
Drummartin Drumartin Kilmacteige Tobercurry Breencorragh Leyny Sligo OSI Ref: G440131
OS Sheet: 37, 31
Discovery map: 24

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Mullarkey, 5 July 1870, Vol 98, MRGS 39/046, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Mullarkey, 12 June 1885, Vol 148, MRGS 39/065, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources