Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Conroy

Descended from the Gaelic family of O'Mulconry of county Roscommon, this branch of the Conroy family became Protestant early in the 18th century. John Conry lived at Bettyfield. His grandson John Conroy, a military commander, was created a baronet in 1837. In the same year Sir John's son Edward Conroy eloped with Lady Alicia Parsons of Rosse Castle, Birr, county Offaly. By the 19th century the Conroys appear to have been absentee landlords, pursuing military careers outside Ireland. By the late 19th century they were resident in North Wales. Griffith's Valuation records land belonging to the Conroys in the parishes of Kiltrustan and Shankill, barony of Roscommon. Sir John Conroy 3rd and last baronet, son of Sir Edward and Lady Alicia Conroy, with an address at Arborfield Grange, Reading, Berkshire, owned 453 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Bettyfield Shankill Shankill Strokestown Elphin 96 Roscommon Roscommon OSI Ref: M857 875
OS Sheet: 16
Discovery map: 33

Archival sources

  • Pedigree of Conroy, formerly O’Mulconry of Tullon, Elphin & Bettifield, Co Roscommon, baronets & Vigoyne, France, 379-1855. GO MS 178: 290-302; National Library of Ireland
  • Pedigree of Conroy, earlier O’Mulconry of Fulton, Co Roscommon & Conry of Bettyville, Co Roscommon & city of Dublin, c 1579-1825. GO MS 169: 333; National Library of Ireland
  • Conroy Family & Estate Papers, 18th-19th centuries.; Oxford University: Balliol College Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources