Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Evans (Belgarrow)

In the early 18th century the Evans family settled in Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, but by the middle of the century had moved to Dublin. In the 19th century the main branch of the family was established at Rockfield, county Westmeath. In the 1830s the Evans' county Mayo estate was mainly in the parish of Killasser, barony of Gallen and may have come into the possession of the family following the marriage of Francis Evans with a daughter of John Gardiner of Farmhill, barony of Tirawley. The house, Dove Hall, also known as Belgarrow or Belgarriff House, was situated on their estate and was leased to a Mr Strogen in the early 19th century. A new house was built in the early 1870s before the sale of the Evans' estates in counties Westmeath, Monaghan and Mayo. Standish O'Grady McDermott of Cloongee, parish of Templemore, barony of Gallen was agent to his father-in-law, John Ogle Evans. Portions of the latter's estate were sold in the Landed Estates Court in July 1873 and June 1874. The purchasers included John McGloin, Henry Joynt and Mr. Lynet.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Dove Hall Belgarrow Toomore Swineford Toomore 104 Gallen Mayo OSI Ref: G278 051
OS Sheet: 49
Discovery map: 24
Carns (Kilmacteige) Carns Kilmacteige Tobercurry Aclare 66 Leyny Sligo OSI Ref: G417099
OS Sheet: 37
Discovery map: 24

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Evans, 14 Nov 1871 & 5 July 1873, Vols 104 & 111, MRGS 39/048 & 39/051, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Deeds re lands of Carrower and Brackland, Co Mayo, involving Francis Evans and others, May & June 1809. D.22,053-22,054; National Library of Ireland
  • Collis & Ward, solicitors' collection, includes documents re the estate of John O. Evans, Belgarrow, 1896. Small Accs. Index 98, Parcel 39. 2/463/43; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources