The Lloyds of Smith Hill were a branch of the Lloyds of Croghan. Robert Jones Lloyd of Smithhill House, parish of Elphin, county Roscommon, was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. He was married to Susannah Devenish of Rush Hill and died in 1832. He appears to have been a middleman in county Leitrim , see http://www.ancestryireland.com/hip_statutes.php?filename=9.4&PHPSESSID=05f109cf04e146ce7a75e313302d6cbc The Reverend John Lloyd of Smith Hill, rector of Aughrim, was assassinated on 28 Nov 1847, see http://www.obeirnefamily.cwc.net/issue4/Owen%20Beirne%202.htm In the 1870s Robert Jones Lloyd of Twickenham, London, owned 300 acres in county Roscommon and 892 acres in county Leitrim.
Contemporary printed sources
- WELD, Isaac. ''Statistical Survey of the county of Roscommon''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1832. : 651.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Strokestown Union, 98
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 357
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Roscommon: 3, 32 & 37
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol I, 597
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 305 & 317
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 276