The Neligans held the 664 acres of the townland of Emlaghmore, parish of Oran, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon, by a fee farm grant from the Earl of Essex to William Neligan, dated 27 Oct 1852. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the townland was in the possession of Dr William H. Nelligan and Catherine A. Mennons. Emlaghmore was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in July 1861 and February 1862 by members of the Clery [Cork city] and Neligan families. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey in the 1830s there were 2 houses Temp House and Church House in the townland of Emlaghmore. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Mills Hodson held a house in Emlaghmore from Dr William Neligan valued at £11 and Tobias Kelly held a house in the same townland from Catherine Mennons valued at £13. The Hudsons advertised for sale the rental of one third of the lands of Emlaghmore in May 1875.
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Clery & Neligan, 2 July 1861 & 11 Feb 1862, Vols 62 & 64, MRGS 39/031 & 39/032, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Hudson, 7 May 1875, Vol 118, MRGS 39/054, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Roscommon: Vol III, 245 & 246
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 105 (Church Park) & 368 (Tempe)