Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Biron/Byron

At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Byron held an estate in the parish of Cam, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, which he purchased from George King in 1853. At the same time John Trant held the townland of Kilrush, parish of Thurles, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, from James Byron. In the 1870s the Reverend Edwin Biron [Vicar of Lympne, Kent, 1840-1877] owned 1435 acres in county Roscommon and 513 acres in county Tipperary. In June 1880 property amounting to a total of over 2,400 acres belonging to his son Robert John Biron in counties Roscommon, Kildare, Tipperary and Dublin city was advertised for sale. The Reverend Edmond Byron still held untenanted land in the parishes of Cam and Taghmaconnell in 1906. A son of Robert John Biron, Sir Chartres Biron (1863-1940) was a prominent English lawyer, who was knighted in 1920 .

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Kilrush Kilrush Thurles Thurles Kilrush 142 Eliogarty Tipperary OSI Ref: S094 621
OS Sheet: 41
Discovery map: 59