Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Pelly

In 1677 Peter Pilley was granted over 800 acres in county Galway (baronies of Longford and Clonmacnowen), 978 acres in county Roscommon (baronies of Ballintober, Roscommon and Athlone) and 649 acres in county Clare. At the time of Grifftith's Valuation Mrs Pelly and Louisa and Alicia Pelly held land in the parishes of Fuerty, Killinvoy and St Johns, barony of Athlone and in the parish of Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon. In the 1870s Mrs Louisa Pelly of 5 Charlemont Terrace, Kingstown, county Dublin, owned over 1,500 acres in county Roscommon. In 1828, Lieutenant Colonel Raymond Pelly, of Ballybride, was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. On 25 October 1864 the lands of Ardkell, parish of Roscommon, were leased by Arthur Raymond Pelly to members of the Mennons family. Cornelius Pelly of Kill, county Galway married Mary daughter of Michael Kelly of Kelly's Grove. Their son Michael Pelly of Heronsbrook [Hearnesbrook], Killimer married Honoria Guinan and one of their sons Hyacinth Albert Pelly and his wife Charity Maria O'Ferral Matthews were the parents of Cornelius James Pelly (1908 –1985), an Irish diplomat. Michael's brother Cornelius Pelly was a landowner in county Cork and Auditor of the Local Government Board. In the 1870s his addresses were Rathduane, county Cork and Dublin and he owned 1,393 acres in county Cork at this time.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Hearnesbrook Hearnesbrook Demesne Killimorbologue Portumna Killimor 174 Longford Galway OSI Ref: M792130
OS Sheet: 107
Discovery map: 53
Ballybride Ballybride Roscommon Roscommon Roscommon Rural 90 Ballintober South Roscommon OSI Ref: M853650
OS Sheet: 39
Discovery map: 40
Rathduane Rathduane Drishane Millstreet Caherbarnagh 284 West Muskerry Cork OSI Ref: W210 927
OS Sheet: 38
Discovery map: 79