Sir John Marcus Stewart, of Ballygawley, county Tyrone, is recorded as the owner of over 600 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Andrew Godfrey Stewart, together with his relatives Lady Caroline Bathurst and Lady Sarah Grimstead, offered for sale their property in the barony of Tireragh, county Sligo, in June 1855. Rev. Andrew Godfrey Stewart was married to Catherine Anne Wingfield, daughter of 5th Vist. Powerscourt. The latter family had extensive estates in the barony of Tireragh.
No houses were found for this estate
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Stewart (Stuart), 8 June 1855, Vol 35, MRGS 39/016, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 299
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 426