At the time of Griffith’s Valuation John C. Evans was leasing a number of townlands from Lord Fitzgerald and Vesey in the parish of Killoscobe, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. He is also recorded as one of the principal lessors in the parish of Tynagh, barony of Longford, at the same time. Lane notes that he was a land agent for other estates. In 1852 Evans bought the townland of Ballinruane in the parish of Moylough from George Porter. In the 1870s Mary Evans of Cross House owned over 1,000 acres in the locality.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Porter, 25 Mar 1852, Vol 14, MRGS 39/006, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Cross House photos. 024/072; Irish Architectural Archive
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 150
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 295
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Mountbellew Union, 79
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol II, 131
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 141
Modern printed sources
- GLIN, Knight of, GRIFFIN, D. J. & ROBINSON, N.K (eds).'' Vanishing Country Houses of Ireland''. Dublin: Irish Architectural Archive/Irish Georgian Society, 1989. : 69
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': LANE, Padraig G. Purchasers of land in counties Galway and Mayo in the Encumbered Estates court, 1849-1858. XLIII (1991), p. 101.