Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Evans (Cross House)

At the time of Griffith’s Valuation John C. Evans was leasing a number of townlands from Lord Fitzgerald and Vesey in the parish of Killoscobe, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. He is also recorded as one of the principal lessors in the parish of Tynagh, barony of Longford, at the same time. Lane notes that he was a land agent for other estates. In 1852 Evans bought the townland of Ballinruane in the parish of Moylough from George Porter. In the 1870s Mary Evans of Cross House owned over 1,000 acres in the locality.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cross House Cross Oughter Killoscobe Mountbellew Mounthazel 156 Tiaquin Galway OSI Ref: M618 399
OS Sheet: 59
Discovery map: 46