Castlehacket takes its name from the Hackett family who owned the land in the 14th century. An early 18th century house was built by the Kirwan family and lived in by their descendants until 1985. Wilson mentions it as the seat of John Kirwan in 1786. It was held in fee by Denis Kirwan at the time of Griffith's Valuation when it was valued at £40. Referred to as the seat of Bernard Percy Broderick by Slater in 1894. The original house of 3 storeys was burnt in 1923 and rebuilt at the end of the 1920s as a 2 storey house. The house has had a number of owners in the past 20 years.