In 1837 Lewis describes a house on Foynes Island as a "handsome marine villa, the summer residence of the Earl of Dunraven". The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows a house named Foynes House on the southern part of the island. By the time of Griffith's Valuation this is in possession of Peter Griffin, leasing from the Spring-Rice estate and with a valuation of £1 15s. The later 25-inch Ordnance Survey map shows a much smaller property labelled Burneen, close to the site of Foynes House. This latter property is still extant.