In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to the site of Ballycrenode House in the parish of Kilkeary, stating "only those people who are very old can recollect seeing any part of this house standing". This original Ballycrenode House belonged to the O'Carroll family and the last inhabitant was a Major O'Carroll. The site is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map. At that time and in Griffith's Valuation, the townland belonged to the Toler estate. The 25-inch map of the 1890s shows a later Ballycrenode House, located slightly to the north-west of the original site. This property is still extant, part of a large farm.