The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage states that this house was built in 1875. It appears to have replaced an earlier house also known as Somerset marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map circa 1840. In 1841 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Somerset as "a small demesne and good dwelling house, the residence of Mr. Going". It was the home of John O'Meara in the mid 1870s. In 1906 William H. O'Meara occupied a house valued at £12+ in the townland of Abbeville.