In 1786, Wilson writes that Derry Castle was the seat of Michael Head. Lewis records Derry Castle as the seat of M.P. Head. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books describe the demesne at Derry as "chiefly composed of platation and ornamental ground. Derry House (a commodious building) is the residence of Michael Petty Head". By the time of Griffith's Valuation it was held by Francis Spaight in fee, the buildings were valued at £71. ''The Nenagh Guardian'' of 15 April 1872 report on a bad fire at Derry Castle. Spaight family members appear to be still resident in the early 20th century. The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage states that the castle is now demolished.