In 1851 Clonea Castle was being leased by Charles Farren, MD, from Rev. Walter McGuire, when it was valued at £20. The 1854 Encumbered Estates sale notice states that Farren's lease was from year to year and he was willing to vacate the premises for the purchaser if necessary. In the 1940s the ITA survey noted that both it and the property then known as Clonea Nursing Home had been built by the Maguire family. The castle was "a square shell on the beach".