The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage describes this as a miller's house. In 1840 The Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to it as " a good dwelling house, the residence of Christopher Dignan, there is a good flour mill close by". William Abernethy held it from the Earl of Portarlington in the mid 19th century when the house was valued at £20. It is now a ruin. James Abernethy of Carrig owned 113 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s.