Lewis records Clifton as the seat of Captain Sheppard. The Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to it as "a modern building, the residence of Capt. Sheppard" in 1841. Arthur Sheppard [?] was the occupier at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He held the property from Thomas Pyke and the buildings were valued at £14.10 shillings. The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage records the present house as dating from 1868.