Built as an agricultural school in the 1830s, it was not a success and swiftly closed. The property was rented in the 1850s from the Lindseys by Francis Laurie, a farmer from Scotland. He died in 1865 and James Simpson took over the lease. Charles Bingham Jenings and his wife, formerly of Mount Jenings, lived at Kilrush for the first three years of the 20th century. The building is now a ruin.