This house was the seat of the Chadwick family in the 18th and 19th centuries. The present house dates from the early 19th century and incorporates parts of an older building. John Chadwick was resident in 1814 and William Chadwick in 1837. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books note it as the seat of Ostin [Austin] Sadlier and describe the house as "a very large building in good repair". At the time of Griffith's Valuation. the house was valued at £33 and held from the Earl of Portarlington. The Chadwicks were still living at Ballinard at the beginning of the 20th century.