Hamilton Abbey is described in the sale rental of 4 June 1850 as "old fashioned" but "a most romantic and elegant residence". It contained a "fine cellarage, servants apartments and offices, large sized hall, breakfast parlour, dining rooom and drawing room, ten bed chambers, dairy, pantries, etc." and was in the possession of W.H. Latham. It was valued in Griffith's Valuation at £15.3 shillings. This property appears to have originally belonged to Hamilton Lowe. The ''Limerick General Advertiser'' of 16 May 1820 records the giving of the nearby Augustinian Abbey at Fethard to the Reverend Thomas Condon, Prior, by Mrs Hamilton Lowe and W. Latham.