Held in fee by Richard Smyth at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the buildings, including a mill, were valued at over £100. Lewis also refers to it as the seat of R. Smyth in 1837 when he describes it as "finely situated in a much improved demesne". In 1814 it was the residence of Grice Smyth who Brady cites as the builder. Charles Smith notes an earlier residence as the seat of Richard Smith. In 1943 the ITA survey referred to is as the seat of Captain Holroyd Smyth. Ballynatray is still extant and the focus of an 850-acres estate, with notable gardens. See www.ballynatray.com for details.