Belhavel was the home of Hugh Lyons Montgomery, built during the Famine. The family took up residence there in 1850. Slater refres to it as the seat of Hugh Lyons Montgomery in 1894. The Irish Tourist Association survey in the 1940s records that "every stone was taken away to build houses throughout the district". An earlier castle also in Belhavel is reputed to have been built by the first Montgomery to settle in the area in the seventeenth century.