A fortified house that came into the possession of the Hoare family through marriage with a member of the Baker family in the 1770s. In 1786 Wilson refers to Carrigrohan as the seat of Mr. Colthurst. Reconstructed in the 1830s by Augustus Robert McSweeny, a corn merchant, who also leased the floor mills nearby. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Jane McSweeny was resident. The Castle later reverted back to the Hoares who owned it until the 1940s. They are mentioned by the Irish Tourist Association survey as resident there. It is still extant and was sold in 2017.