Bantry House was held in fee by the Earl of Bantry at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £125. The house history indicates it has been the home of the White family since about 1765 when Richard White purchased what was then Blackrock House. Wilson still refers to it by the latter name in 1786 but it is named Bantry House on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of the 1830s. The Irish Tourist Association survey of the 1940s contains a detailed description of the house's interior at that time. Bantry House has been open to the public since 1946 and a prestigous music festival is held there each summer. For more information see www.bantryhouse.com.