Originally a Roche stronghold, the castle was granted to the Widenhams in the mid 17th century. The castle was altered in both the 18th and 19th centuries. In the early 19th century it passed by marriage to the Brazier Creagh family and again by marriage to the Smyths. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the buildings were valued at £70 and held by Henry M. Smyth from Henry Leader. In 1894 it was the seat of Mrs. Smyth. In 1942 the Irish Tourist Association survey noted that it was still part of the Smyth family estate. Also known as Blackwater Castle, it is still extant.