Leet records Robert McCarthy occupying Garrycloyne in 1814. "Burkes Irish Family Records" states that Garrycloyne Castle was acquired by Samuel Philip Townshend from John Travers in 1837. The buildings were valued at £45 in the early 1850s and held by Samuel Townsend in fee. The house was later the home of the Barrys. In the 1940s the roof was taken off the house and it has remained a ruin ever since.