Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|Description:||Lewis refers to Shippool as the seat of Captain Herrick in 1837 when he describes it as " a handsome residence in a wooded demesne". At the time of Griffith's Valuation, it was being leased by Thomas Herrick to William Herrick and valued at £50. Local sources suggest it was built in the later eighteenth century when the family moved from Shippool Castle, but the house burned down later in the nineteenth century. It is recorded in the late 1770s as the residence of Herrick esq. and by Leet in 1814 as the seat of Wm. M.H. Herrick. A later house, also called Shippool, was built at the site in the early twentieth century and is still extant. Note: townland spelt as Skanagore in the Townlands Index but as Shanagore in other sources|
|Poor Law Union:||Kinsale|
|OS Sheet Number:||111|
|OSI Grid Reference:||W569552|
|Latitude / Longitude:||
[ Google Earth ] [ Google Maps ]
[ show nearby ]