Originally a MacCarthy castle, granted to the Hollow Sword Blade Company at the end of the 17th century, it was acquired by Henry Wallis from county Waterford in the early decades of the 18th century. William Wallis built the house near the castle soon afterwards and it remained in Wallis possession until the early 20th century. In 1894 Slater noted it as the seat of Aubrey J Wallace [Wallis]. The Sisters of the Infant Jesus, a French order of teaching nuns, occupied the house for most of the 20th century. In 1944 the Irish Tourist Association Survey outlined a history of the castle and the sale to the nuns. The castle is still extant.