Originally a Smyth house, Altamira became the home of the Purcell family in the late 18th century and remained in their possession for about a century. Occupied by William Purcell in 1814 and 1837 and by his nephew Pierce Purcell at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Pierce held the property from the Earl of Bandon and Lady O'Brien. The house was valued at £34. In the 1940s the Irish Tourist Association Survey noted that Altamira was then the residence of the Hannigan family.