Ross House was built by Lewis O'Donel, a son of Lewis O'Donel of Killeen, Crossmolina, county Mayo and a first cousin of the first Sir Neal O'Donel, baronet. The house was inhabited by Captain and Mrs William Houstoun at the time of Griffith's Valuation. They later moved to Doolough and Delphi in the barony of Murrisk. The house was purchased by Middleton O'Malley about 1880 and Slater records it as his residence in 1894. It is now the home of Mrs Meike Blackwell, whose mother-in-law was an O'Malley.