The demesne of this house straddled the border between counties Limerick and Tipperary. In 1826 Fitzgerald refers to the house having been "lately fitted up and furnished in a very tasteful manner". Godfrey Massey was resident at Ballywire in 1814. By 1837 it had become the home of John Bolton Massy who held the property in the 1850s from the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin. It was valued at £40. This house is still a residence.