Bence Jones writes that this house was built by the Bateman family in the mid 18th century to the design of Francis Bindon. In 1786 Wlson refers to it as the seat of Jon Bateman. The Ordnance Survey Name Book records that Altaville House was a rectangular building of four storeys built in 1749 by Mr Bateman and that it was then [circa 1840] undergoing repairs by Peter Griffin of Corgrieff. At the time of Griffith's Valuation it was inhabited by Peter Griffin who had carding mills and offices closeby. He held the property from William Dickson. It is still extant.