Weir writes that this house was either built or bought by a branch of the Studderts of county Limerick in the mid 18th century and that it remained their home until the mid 20th century. In 1786 Wilson refers to it as the seat of Mr. Studdert. It was part of the Wandesforde estate in county Clare. It was the home of Mrs Gore (nee Studdert) in the 1940s but according to the Irish Tourist Association surveyor it was not in good repair and "likely to go the way of all the other big houses of Clare". However it has survived into the 21st century with its roof on. In 1894 it was the residence of Captain George Studdert.