The Purdon family, originally from Cumberland, held this property on the shore of Lough Derg from the mid 17th century. In the ownership of Simon George Purdon at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the buildings were valued at £30. The Irish Tourist Association Survey File of the 1940s states that the house was built "about 70 years ago", contains about 60 rooms and the original residence of the Purdons stands adjacent to the new house. The estate was sold to the Gleeson family who owned the Athlone Woollen Mills in 1901 and the house later became the property of Dr Carmody who opened a health centre. The property was offered for sale in 2012.