In 1786, Wilson noted the building of "a superb and elegant mansion house" by the Massy family beside the River Shannon. The buildings were valued at £75 in the mid 19th century. George Lloyd and Margaret Maunsell Lloyd advertised the sale of their lease of Doonass and 229 acres in June 1855. Following the death of Sir Hugh Dillon Massy in 1870 the house passed to his wife's nephew Colonel John Thomas Massy-Westropp. The house has had a number of different owners in the 20th century, including Mrs Buckley in the 1940s. It was gutted by fire in 2009.