The house at Downhill is recorded as being built by Mr. Brennan, Merchant, Ballina. It appears, from the Ordnance Survey Name Books, that the townland of Knockalyre or Downhill was part of the Gore estate in 1836. Dr. McHugh of Ballina also had an interest in the property which he was renting to Rev. Thomas Feeney in 1857. Colonel Knox Gore also had a mill complex in this townland which, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, he was leasing to William Symes. Downhill House became a hotel when it was purchased by the Moylett family in 1936.