In 1786 Wilson refers to Charlestown as the "the fine seat of Mr. King, most delightfully situated on the Shannon". The first Ordnance Survey map marks both Charlestown House and Charlestown Old House closeby at M984 976. Valued at £46 at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1894 Charlestown was the residence of Sir Gilbert King. The house is no longer extant but extensive estate architecture survives.