Vereker (Viscount Gort)
- Lough Cutra or Lough Cooter was originally O'Shaughnessy land which was granted to Thomas Prendergast at the end of the 17th century. Lord Gort is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824. It passed through the Prendergasts to the Verekers in the 19th century. J.P Vereker, of Roxboro, Limerick, was the proprietor of some townlands in the parish of Beagh in the 1830s and the agent for these was P. Kelly. James Slator and James Lahiff of Gort are also recorded as agents for Lord Gort and W. Forster as a middleman. Lord Gort sold his county Galway estate in the Encumbered Estates' Court in the early 1850s. In 1852 the Freeman's Journal reported that Lough Cooter was purchased by
James Caulfield, in trust for Mrs. Ball, superioress of the Loretto Convent, Rathfarnham. Vicesimus Knox was the purchaser of several other lots at the same sale. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Gort held land in the parish of Caheravally, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick. This estate was comprised of 940 acres in the 1870s. His brother the Honourable John Vereker owned 1,482 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s.
- The Prendergast family were granted lands which had belonged to the O'Shaughnessys including the area which was to become the Lough Cutra estate. Sir Thomas Prendergast 2nd Baronet died in 1760 and was succeeded by his nephew John Prendergast Smyth, the son of his sister Elizabeth and Charles Smyth, Member of Parliament for Limerick city 1731-1776. John Prendergast Smyth was created Baron Kiltarton in 1810 and Viscount Gort in 1816. He was succeeded by his nephew Charles Vereker as 2nd Viscount. The 2nd Viscount built Lough Cutra Castle and his son the 3rd Viscount sold the Gort estate in 1851.
Prendergast (Co Tipperary)
- This family was originally established at Newcastle, county Tipperary, but they were dispossessed of much of their land in the mid 17th century. However they still held land in county Tipperary in the mid 19th century and were living in the Ardfinnan and Nenagh localities. Jeffrey Prendergast was a younger brother of Thomas Prendergast, 1st Baronet. His son, Thomas, married Mary, daughter and heir of John Keating, and died in 1761. From this couple descend the Prendergasts of Ardfinnan and Johnstown. James Prendergast, a mill owner, held land in the parish of Ardfinnan, barony of Iffa and Offa West, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s James Prendergast of the Castle, Ardfinnan, owned 15 acres, Robert K. Prendergast of Netley owned 230 acres, Archer Prendergast of Landaff Lodge, Thurles, owned 343 acres, while Jane Mary Prendergast of Clonmel owned 847 acres in county Tipperary and 214 acres in county Waterford. In the mid 19th century Thomas G. Prendergast held an estate in the parishes of Aglishcloghane and Cloghprior, barony of Lower Ormond, comprised of at least eight townlands. In November 1859 the estate of Jeffry Samuel Prendergast amounting to 1,834 acres in the barony of Lower Ormond, was advertised for sale.