Vereker (Viscount Gort)
- Lough Cutra or Lough Cooter was originally O'Shaughnessy land which was granted to Thomas Prendergast at the end of the 17th century. Lord Gort is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824. It passed through the Prendergasts to the Verekers in the 19th century. J.P Vereker, of Roxboro, Limerick, was the proprietor of some townlands in the parish of Beagh in the 1830s and the agent for these was P. Kelly. James Slator and James Lahiff of Gort are also recorded as agents for Lord Gort and W. Forster as a middleman. Lord Gort sold his county Galway estate in the Encumbered Estates' Court in the early 1850s. In 1852 the Freeman's Journal reported that Lough Cooter was purchased by
James Caulfield, in trust for Mrs. Ball, superioress of the Loretto Convent, Rathfarnham. Vicesimus Knox was the purchaser of several other lots at the same sale. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Gort held land in the parish of Caheravally, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick. This estate was comprised of 940 acres in the 1870s. His brother the Honourable John Vereker owned 1,482 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s.
- The Goughs were a Wiltshire family members of whom settled in the south of Ireland in the 1620s. Sir Hugh Gough purchased the Lough Cutra estate in the late 1840s. Major extensions were made to the castle in the 1850s. In the mid 19th century Lord Gough also held land in the parish of Ballysheehan, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Viscount Gough is recorded as the owner of over 6000 acres in county Galway in addition to property in Dublin, Queen's County and 893 acres in county Tipperary. In 1906 Lord Gough held over 850 acres of untenanted demesne land in the townland of Loughcooter demesne as well as lands in other neighbouring townlands.
- Lands in the parish of Beagh had been in the possession of the O'Shaughnessy family for a considerable time. In 1677 they were granted over 4,000 acres in the barony of Kiltartan, most of it in the parish of Beagh. They forfeited their estates in the 1690s due to their espousal of the Jacobite cause at that time. Richard Martin was later holding lands in trust for Elinor Shaughnessy. Much of their lands were granted to the Prendergast family with whom they engaged in law suits in an attempt to win back their estates. This action was ultimately unsuccessful.
The OS Name Books record Capt. O'Shaughnessy acting as a middleman for the Gregory estate in the 1830s.