Burke (Marble Hill)
- The Burke family of Marble Hill were among the most influential families in county Galway in the 19th century. In 1824 Sir John Burke is recorded as a resident proprietor in the county. Sir Thomas Burke is recorded as the owner of over 29,000 acres in the 1870s. The Burke estate was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Killeenadeema, barony of Loughrea, and in the parish of Killoran, barony of Longford, in 1855. The Burkes also held land in the parish of Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, in the mid 19th century. Sir John Charles Burke's county Roscommon estate amounted to 2,230 acres in the 1870s and his uncle, Edward Howe Burke of Drum Park, Athlone, owned another 667 acres.
- It is evident from documents in the Westport Papers that the Cruise family, originally from Cruisetown, county Louth, acquired land at Castlegar, in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Killian, county Galway, in the mid 17th century. In the 19th century the Cruises were occupying Cruice Lawn on the estate of James Galbraith in the parish of Killosolan, barony of Tiaquin, which Galbraith held from the Blakeneys and nearby Greenville, which the Cruises held from the Bellews. In the 1850s Daniel Cruise held a townland in the parish of Drum, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. The Cruise family were petitioners in the sale of Kelly-Egan property at Grange in the barony of Clonmacnowen, county Galway, in November 1858. Daniel W. Cruice of Fairfield, Ahascragh owned 360 acres in county Galway in the 1870s and Daniel J. Cruise of Killarney owned 1,386 acres in county Roscommon. In 1875 Ardkeenan held in fee and lands in the parishes of Taghmaconnell leased from Sir Thomas Burke of Marble Hill were advertised for sale by members of the Cruice family. In 1878 the house and lands at Bredagh, as well as other properties in the baronies of Kilconnell and Tiaquin, county Galway, were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court. Daniel William Cruice is described as bankrupt in the sale notice.